What is 9ct Jewellery?

9ct jewellery refers to jewellery made from an alloy containing 37.5% pure gold and 62.5% other metals. The “ct” stands for carat, which measures the purity of the gold in the alloy. In 9ct gold, 9 parts out of 24 are pure gold, making it a lower carat gold that is more affordable and durable compared to higher carat gold.

Composition and Characteristics

  1. Composition: 9ct gold is made up of 37.5% pure gold, with the remaining 62.5% consisting of other metals such as copper, silver, and zinc. The specific mix of metals can vary, affecting the color and properties of the gold.

  2. Properties:

    • Durability: Due to its higher proportion of other metals, 9ct gold is more durable and harder than higher carat golds, making it less prone to scratching and bending.
    • Color: The additional metals in the alloy can influence the color of the gold. For example, more copper results in a reddish hue (rose gold), while more silver can give a paler, more yellow appearance.

Benefits of 9ct Jewellery

  1. Affordability: One of the most significant advantages of 9ct gold is its cost-effectiveness. It is less expensive than higher carat golds like 18ct or 24ct, making it accessible to a broader range of people.

  2. Durability: The increased hardness and durability of 9ct gold make it ideal for everyday wear, particularly for items like rings and bracelets that are subject to frequent use and potential impact.

  3. Variety: 9ct gold is available in various colors, including yellow, white, and rose gold, offering a wide range of choices for different tastes and styles.

Types of 9ct Jewellery

  1. Rings: Including wedding bands, engagement rings, and fashion rings.
  2. Necklaces and Chains: From delicate chains to bold statement pieces and pendants.
  3. Bracelets: Such as bangles, link bracelets, and charm bracelets.
  4. Earrings: Including studs, hoops, and drop earrings.
  5. Brooches and Pins: Often featuring intricate designs and gemstone accents.

Caring for 9ct Jewellery

Proper care is essential to maintain the beauty and longevity of 9ct gold jewellery:

  1. Regular Cleaning: Clean your 9ct gold jewellery with a mild soap solution and a soft cloth. Avoid abrasive cleaners and materials that can scratch the surface.

  2. Avoid Chemicals: Keep your jewellery away from household chemicals, perfumes, and lotions, as these can cause tarnishing and damage.

  3. Proper Storage: Store jewellery in a dry, cool place, ideally in a jewellery box or pouch to prevent scratching and exposure to air, which can cause tarnishing over time.

  4. Occasional Polishing: Professional polishing can help restore the shine and luster of 9ct gold jewellery. Regular maintenance by a jeweller can also address any wear or damage.


9ct jewellery offers a perfect balance of affordability, durability, and aesthetic appeal. With its blend of pure gold and other metals, 9ct gold provides a practical and stylish option for everyday wear and special occasions. Available in various colors and styles, 9ct jewellery can cater to diverse tastes while standing up to the rigors of daily life. Proper care and maintenance will ensure that your 9ct pieces remain beautiful and cherished for years to come.


For the latest updates & offers, subscribe to our mailing list.